When it comes down to an individual delivering a great service to their customers, what is it that they need to be doing and thinking about? What would customers say great customer service means to them?
New Chapter Learning have a theme called The Four A’s. They believe that all customer service skills can be distilled down to the principles of:
- Attitude and
Why these four in particular?
When they looked at the basic behaviours that are present in those who create great customer experiences, the things that matter are the ones that customers will notice and complain about if they are not done correctly. A customer will notice if you are smartly dressed, smiling and provide a warm welcome. This still applies to non-customer facing situations as a smile and warmth can be perceived in the conversation that happens on the phone, or even through the written word. A customer knows when you are paying attention to them and wants to know that you have listened. Attitudes matter as they underpin the way a customer is treated and having the right attitude to the role is key. Finally, accuracy is important to ensure not only that the customer gets what they expected, but it also reduces the number of complaints, which can hurt a company’s brand.
So what can you do to embrace these characteristics and deliver great customer service?
Consider some of the following tips for how to become a customer service superhero and think about ways that you can implement these strategies in your daily life.
- Create a great first impression
- Be conscious of your body language, even when you’re speaking to a customer over the phone.
- Have an energetic tone of voice
- Use positive words and language.
- Really listen to every word your customer says to you.
- Give your customer your undivided attention
- Manage any distractions, including colleague interruptions
- Show that you have heard and understood what your customer has said to you
- Maintain eye contact or when you’re speaking to your customer on the phone use verbal nods so they know you’re listening and paying attention to them.
- Ask questions to make sure you understand exactly what your customer needs and that you’ve understood them correctly. Once you know what they want you will then be able to help them in the most appropriate way.
- Have a can do attitude and translate that attitude into what you say and do
- Take personal responsibility and create confidence in your customers
- Be mentally prepared
- Take pride in your work
- Make sure your customer leaves you with a good feeling and a smile on their face.
- Get to know your products, services and processes and exactly how they work for your customer’s needs.
- Double check and make sure that everything is as it should be
- Take the time to get things right
- Make sure you’re always up to date with the latest information about your role and your business
- If you make a mistake, put it right and always learns from it
New Chapter Learning believe that everyone working in a customer service role can become a customer service ‘superhero’ to their customer. By adopting these behaviours, these superheroes will remain ordinary on the outside, but what they will do for their customers will be extraordinary.
New Chapter Learning Ltd are a Customer Experience and Training Consultancy that wants to give your customers a reason to love you. Based in the UK they specialise in Customer Service Strategy and Training, Leadership Development, Induction Programmes and Bespoke Training Course Design .